We run courses for Club Members who wish to obtain a licence for a fixed or handheld marine VHF radio. A VHF radio is an important piece of safety equipment on a boat and it is vital that operators understand how to operate the equipment and the correct user procedures.
Cost of the course: SRC VHF Course (2 days) - £72 inc VAT. course cost + £60 exam fees and licence issue fee payable to the RYA If you are not a club member there will be an additional charge of £40.
The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on British flagged craft.
Course topics include:
- The basic radio operation
- The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (GMDSS)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
Once the course has been successfully completed your license will be issued by the RYA
For further information contact the SRC Course Tutor, Alan Dixon